Thursday, January 27, 2011

Had to let ya know that I got a 'Crush on You'


We're almost an entire month into 2011, and I'm still in total disbelief. I remember when I was a little girl, planning out my entire life (told y'all I was precocious). I knew that this year I'd graduate from college, and it felt that day would never come. Now it's just a few months away, and I've been reminiscing about my childhood every day. The carefree ease seems like another lifetime. But sometimes, you hear a song that brings back all of the memories.

That song this week? 'Crush on You' by Lil' Kim featuring Lil' Cease and Biggie Smalls. 
Somebody was rapping it in the post office, and I had to go home and watch the video again:


"Keep your stone sets, I got my own baguettes
And I'll be doin things that you won't regret
Lil Kim the Queen Bee, so you best take heed
Shall I proceed? (Yes indeed!)
I'ma throw shade, if I can't get paid
Blow you up to your girl like the Army grenade" -- Lil' Kim
Lil' Kim was the ORIGINAL! Those wigs; that bravado coming straight from the mouth of a female in an otherwise all male crew; that swagg! Regardless of the fact that she looks like an Asian drag queen caricature of herself these days, she was  ahead of her time in the 90's. So much so that certain 'rappers' these days are stealing everything about her image. When I was young, I wasn't allowed to listen to her because of the content of her lyrics. Obviously that didn't stop me. In Kim's defense, she taught me that there was a sexiness in dominating over males... as long as it wasn't taken overboard. If Kim could get back to her roots, and find someone in her circle that has her best interests in mind, she could easily make another groundbreaking album like 'Hard Core'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...